- 1 box macaroni and cheese dinner mix
- 6 cups water
- 2 tbsp. milk
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup Crum’s Grit sauce
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 6 oz. can French fried onions, crushed
- Blue cheese salad dressing
- In a large saucepan over high heat, bring water to a boil and add pasta from boxed macaroni. Cook pasta until al dente (7-10 minutes) and then drain. Add next two ingredients and powdered cheese packet from boxed macaroni mix, stirring until smooth and all pasta is fully coated. Fold shredded cheese into the macaroni mixture.
- Grease mini muffin tin and scoop 2 tbsp. of pasta mixture into each cup, pressing in firmly to create mini cakes. Cover pan and refrigerate for a minimum of 3 hours.
- Using four bowls, create a dredging station of egg, flour, hot sauce, and French fried onions. Remove chilled macaroni cakes from muffin cups and dip in hot sauce, then into flour to coat. Next, dip into beaten egg and then crushed onions. Place each of the breaded macaroni cakes onto a lightly greased sheet tray. Bake 12-15 minutes at 400 degrees until golden brown. Makes 24 cakes.
- Serve with dressing as dip.